An ancient school that was founded in the time of the Abbasid state in Baghdad in 1233 by the Abbasid Caliph Al-Mustansir Billah, and it was an important scientific and cultural centre. It is located on the Rusafa side of Baghdad.
“Al-Mustansiriya” was built on an area of 4836 square meters overlooking the shore of the Tigris River next to the “Caliphate Palace” near the Nizamiyah School, and in the middle of the school was a large fountain in which was the Al-Mustansiriya School clock, a strange strange clock that is a witness to the progress of science among the Arabs in that era of time Prayer times are announced throughout the day.
The school consists of two floors, in which 100 rooms, between large and small, were built, in addition to the halls and halls.
This school was concerned with the study of various transportation and mental sciences in a way never before in others. The duration of study in Al-Mustansiriya was ten years, and it included several departments, including the sciences of the Qur’an, the Sunnah, jurisprudence, grammar, the science of statutes, inheritances, animal benefits, philosophy, mathematics, pharmacy, medicine and health science.
Studying in it and in other Baghdad schools stopped; Because of Tamerlane’s destruction of Baghdad twice, the first in (765 AH / 1392 AD) and the other in the year (803 AH / 1400 AD); Where Tamerlane destroyed the schools of Baghdad and abused its scholars and took many writers, engineers and architects with him to Samarkand, and Baghdad a large number of scholars migrated to Egypt, the Levant and other Islamic countries. From time until it was reopened for study in the year (998 AH / 1589 AD), but that did not last long, as it returned and closed its doors in the year 1048 AH / 1638 AD), and then the Al-Asifiya School opened in its place, and the Al-Asifiya School was one of the facilities of the Al-Mustansiriya School, and it was renewed Its building was the Minister Daoud Pasha, the governor of Baghdad in the year 1242 AH / 1826 AD.